Wednesday 4 June 2014

Labels








“Labels are for filing. Labels are for clothing. Labels are not for people.” 
Martina Navratilova










Princess Diana on the Royal family's reaction to her postnatal depression...







"Well, it gave everybody a wonderful new label is, Diana's unstable and, Diana's mentally imbalanced.' (Diana expresses) 




'And unfortunately, that seems to have stuck on and off over the years."







Martin Bashir (her interviewer) asks: "Are you saying that that label stuck within your marriage?"






to which Diana answers:"I think people used it, and it stuck. yes."





Why do people feel it their write to file labels for everyone who crosses their path? Why do people feed off of the weaknesses of others, their struggles, their vulnerable aspects? They eat them up, so merrily while composing those labels. Ah! how some people just feed off of other people's blunders... I suppose why they rejoice has primarily to do with the fact that they've indeed discovered yet another label to paste over you. Yes! those narrow-minded, one worded and usually negative means for describing their kin... those are the ones that are most given. I suppose it's those sorts of people that are able to deem themselves as somewhat of a superior being in comparison to their brother. Are they free of all imperfections and have they perhaps been given the right to "label" others with such cruel and, like I said... very narrow-minded, very limited descriptions... "labels"? In my opinion... labels should be left for jars of pickles and peaches... and like the quote above states "not for people." 





Names hurt! And I feel that one of the most untrue sayings ever made reside inside of these very words, the ones we used to echo as children, trying to pretend that the cruel names others called us... didn't bother us. "Sticks and stones may break my bones but, names will never hurt me." But in reality, names do hurt and are in fact probably one of the most painful parts of growing up. Learning to drown out the labels others will eagerly thrust upon us. 




"They feel that it gives them some sort of privilege to walk up and say anything to you!" ~ Marilyn Monroe

and I don't mean to sound bitter towards people... but it's true! And yeah, yeah... well, perhaps not everyone is cruel hearted like that, but in my personal experience... I've, I suppose had the misfortune of crossing paths with several of them! And it's sad... it's truly sad, just how bad certain people can hurt you... and for that matter, the fact that they have such an ability, such a power they have to make you cry. 





I suppose a lot of us forget though... that we and we ourselves alone are the only ones capable of granting them that right, that privilege. In time, I've found that some of the closest people in one's life... will hurt you. I suppose in the end, and through these experiences, I have learned that God is all Who really matters. Human nature is constructed a great deal by weakness. Why do you think we make so many mistakes? We're only human! I just think it's sad that certain people enjoy so much, pointing out the mistakes that others make, the imperfections that infect their brethren, especially when they too have just as many and sometimes even more!


to which her interviewer, Richard Meryman, an esteemed journalist, would elaborate with "I think she felt that, on some level, she was being treated as a joke"



^^^ A feeling that I think all of us can relate to.




 I feel that one of the greatest species of hatred exists in such expressions, in labeling, or in such demeaning behavior. Not only does it make us feel ill of our whole being, our character, but it also seems to infect inside of us, a sense of feeling unloved.


And I don't mean to feel sorry for myself (Heaven knows how fortunate I am in comparison to the many suffering people around the world) but, I know the effects of such demeaning behavior. I've suffered with it for years. I'm fragile and I'm not afraid to admit it... not anymore. It caused a great deal of insecurity which later conjured up a sense of disdain towards myself. I know now, however, through a series of empowering moments that I've experienced in my life, that is... that I am indeed stronger... a lot stronger than I could've ever imagined myself becoming. And I feel that I am beginning to grow fonder and fonder of myself with each passing day. I suppose I'm starting to see the beauty that at one time, the words of others had indeed drowned out.



And, I suppose, my fear of what others think of me, how they label me has lessened, lessened greatly for that matter! I've been called all sorts of names. One of the worst by certain people who I had at one time thought of as some of the closest people in my life, and behind my back too! It was a horrifying label... and it was, needless to say, very disheartening to have been deemed with with a word conjured by such a lewd interpretation of myself, and who I strive to be in life. Yes! It hurt, very badly and still hurts as a matter of fact but, deep down inside... I know that their perception of me is wrong. I don't believe the words people label me with anymore. I brush it off my shoulder like a leaf and don't let it shroud over me like a raincloud anymore. 




I'm much happier now! Able to see myself in my own perspective, my eyesight no longer blurred by the harsh and crippling words of others. As for the people out there who still get a kick in belittling other people, they can take their labeling skills to the Pepin Pickle Factory! Cans of food, clothes, etc., are meant to be labeled... and again I quote; "Not people". 



~Erin <3 xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment